Friday, September 27, 2013

Dear Maddie

My sweetest Maddie,
  Every morning I wake up to you,
 quietly staring at me, 
big eyes peeking up over the side of the mattress,
a sleepy smile in your voice.
"Hey Mom!  Guess what!"
"What?!?"
"I LOVE you!"
Forget Folgers....
It's definitely the best way to wake up...
This summer you turned four...FOUR.  
You're a little girl now,
but in so many ways you're still a baby.  

It's hard for me, this in-between stage.
Trying to figure out how to guide you into independence, 
but still understanding that sometimes you need to be my baby.

I know this will never change, sometimes all I need is my mommy too.  
Being a mother to a daughter is hard.  
You'll know this someday.

I know there will be times that I'll want to protect you,
I also know that you'll have to experience things for yourself.

But I PROMISE that I will always be there when you need a hug...
or an "I love you"
"I'll love you forever, 
I'll like you for always
As long as I'm living
My baby you'll be"*






*Robert Munsch:  Love you Forever...The first book I read to Maddie 
**Don't read this book immediately postpartum, you'll bawl like a baby.

2 comments:

  1. Or read this blog 17 months postpartum...you'll bawl like a baby. Brooke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also dare you to write a "dear daughter" letter to your girls without crying…can't be done….*sigh* Dang hormones :-)

      Delete